John English SAC – Meeting Minutes
Thursday, January 12, 2017, 7 – 8:30 pm
Introductions not needed!
Additional agenda items
• Toronto Marlies game
Attendance sheet completed
Principal Report7:06 – 7:28
• New outdoor classroom ~$45 000 total cost and $40 000 of those dollars will come from the school board. More money will be contributed at the school level. School Council will also contribute. Construction will begin in spring 2017.
• 3rd floor gym often floods and construction is ongoing to try to remedy the problem. It will be muddy and messy on the field while repairs continue.
• Internet speed will be increased within the next week from 100mb to 1G of speed, throughout the school.
• Lots of support for the food bank around Christmas time and the winter concert.
• Hold and Secure occurred during first day back to school, January 9, after the winter break.
• Extended French information night at Second Street School at 6:30 on Tuesday, January 17, 2017.
• Breakfast program has closed down. Breakfast program hadbeen supported by grants and LAMP funding. 80% of funding was for food and 20% for operations. LAMP cannot continue to fund to program. The school is looking into alternative arrangements to provide breakfast to students in need.
• The band See Spot Run’s could perform a concert for the school, a possible fundraising idea.
Teacher’s Report7:28 – 7:42
• Family Studies class is looking for donations of sharp fabric scissors, fabric, notions, cooking utensils, cutlery, dish towels, pots/pans, etc.
• Volunteers are needed for Grade 7 and 8 Career Day on Friday, May 5, 2017. If you would like to come in and talk about your career to 3 groups of ~15 students for about 30-40 minutes, please contact the school JohnEnglish
• Achievement, Equity and Wellbeing are 3 parts of the school improvement plan. Looking for ways to manage student stress. Staff is aiming to bring mindfulness training to teachers and, in turn, to students.
• Ms Sternig and Mme Smith are working on Celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday.
• Chess and Arts Express are still offering programs this winter. Letters for participation in Arts Express will go home next week. Chess participation form went home before the winter break.
• Sports currently on going are Grades 6-8 girls volleyball, Grades 6-8 boys basketball, Grades 5-8 badminton, hockey.
SAC BoardBusiness7:42 – 8:30
• Book fair – $6000 was earned in credit to purchase books for the school.
• Movie night/basket raffle date and movie selection to be determined.
• Poinsettia sales raised about $900.
• Toronto Marlies tickets can be sold at a profit to raise SAC funds. Possible date 5:00pm March 26 vs. the Syracuse Crunch.
• Possible family concert fundraiser further discussion at the next meeting.
• Dance-a-thon date for late spring will be finalize at the next meeting.
• $10 000 SAC funds available to spend; Teacher wish list $1000, Musical instruments $3000, Technology for grades 3/4/5 $3000, Outdoor classroom $3000; Motion to spend monies was tabled, seconded and passed unanimously.
• SAC Treasurer
• Co chair for book fair
• Co chair for Staff appreciation breakfast
• Anyone who is interested in any of these positions please contact SAC sacinfo
Other Business8:30 – 8:35
• PIAC (Parent Involvement Advisory Committee) is hosting School Council Appreciation and Information evening on Thursday, February 23, 2017
• Trustee Pamela Gough’s Ward 3 meeting on Child Care in Schools Thursday, January 19, 2017 at Norseman JMS
Next Meetings – Feb 9, April 6, May 11
Twitter: @JohnEnglishJM Facebook: JohnEnglishSAC Web: www.johnenglish.ca