Welcome 7:05 – 7:08
No additional agenda items
Attendance sheet completed
Principal Report 7:08 – 7:26
• Building update – projected completion date is mid-November.
• Instrumental music for student in Grades 6, 7, 8. It’s a withdrawal from class program. Approximately 40 minutes of withdrawal, 3 days per week.
• Outdoor classroom is being well used. Kindergarten teachers are planning specific lessons around the outdoor classroom space.
• School photos were taken recently. Retake day is November 1 if anyone missed the first date or families are not happy with the first photo. There is a possibility that sibling photos may be taken on November 1 after school and appointments would be booked in advance.
• Cross country Grades 3-8 move on to the next level next week, if individual students advance.
• October 30 FI Junior Kindergarten application process begins. Go to http://www.tdsb.on.ca/pars to apply. If you have a sibling already at John English, please check off ‘sibling’ during the application process. Otherwise, your younger child may be assigned to French Immersion at a different location from older siblings.
• November 6 information night for French Immersion at Etobicoke Collegiate Institute, 7-8pm.
• Mimico Canadians Hockey applied for Northern Exchange Program. They were paired with a hockey team from Rankin Inlet. Rankin Inlet team was at John English today for an assembly. Many other schools were invited to attend.
• EQAO results – Grade 6 Reading 93% of students achieved at level, Writing 92%, Math 63%. Grade 3 Reading 63% of students achieved at grade level, Writing 79%, Math 68%.
• Grade 3 CCAT – all grade 3 students wrote it. It’s a screening test for exceptionalities. Significant findings will be reported to parents.
Ms. Jenkins 7:26 – 7:30
• November 15 – 22 Scholastic Festival du Livre/Book Fair will be held at John English. Volunteers needed. Contact Mel Boyd-Brown firstname.lastname@example.org or Leah Kirkpatrick email@example.com
• Several Mental Health Workshops for parents are being offered from The Sick KIDS CENTRE FOR COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH: OCTOBER 17, NOVEMBER 21, NOVEMBER 23. FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO REGISTER 416 924 1164
Teacher’s Report 7:30 – 7:45
• Mr. Murray running a Fun Club to help with social skills in Kindergarten, students will be invited to participate by Mr. Murray.
• 44 Safety Patrollers with Mme. Mazelet have been trained and are currently working to keep the crosswalks and surrounding areas safe for student travelling to and from school each day.
• Grade 6 boys had inter-school football tournament today at John English.
• Robotics team Grades 4-8 is beginning, meet after school until 5pm.
• Info evening for Grade 8 parents October 19 at 6:30 at John English.
• Secret Life of Riley K on October 5, to help grades 4-6 students deal with anxiety
SAC Board Business 7:45 – 8:35
• Parent reps still needed – help your child’s teacher forward information out to other parents via email. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
• Scholastic Book Sale (Nov 15 – 22). Volunteers needed to help younger students select books & manage purchase of books, shifts are 90-120 minutes long during the day. Contact Mel Boyd-Brown email@example.com or Leah Kirkpatrick firstname.lastname@example.org
• Fresh from the Farm – orders submitted, produce delivery in November, fewer orders this year than last. 59 bundles of vegetables and 35 bundles of apples have been purchased to be donated to a local food bank.
• QSP Campaign – starts Oct 23, magazines, gift wrap etc.
• Fundraising Contribution Letter – due Oct 20
• See Spot Run concert – Nov 2 at John English JMS, online and in-person ticket sales have begun. ESA band will open and John English Senior Ukulele players will also play during the concert. Possible raffle or silent auction discussed and decided against.
• Toronto Marlies – planned for Sunday, Mar 25, 2018, 4 pm. Tickets will go on sale as the date approaches.
• Flip Give fundraiser is always ongoing, if you buy at Chapters Indigo. Here’s the link: https://indigo.flipgive.com/teams/57573-reading-rocks-at-john-english?fundraiser_id=206155
• 2016/17 full budget report
o SAC Fundraising revenue totals from 2016-17 school year were made available. Revenue total is available upon request.
o Wish list ideas discussed for ways to spend SAC funds in a timely fashion (books, classroom technology, etc.).
• Health & Safety (transition year with Craig)
• Anyone who is interested in position please contact SAC email@example.com
• Instrumental Music Program. Sending letter to Supervising Principal of Music requesting information regarding equitable distribution of Itinerate Music Teacher hours to middle school programs.
Meeting Ends 8:35
Next Meetings – Wednesday, November 15, Thursday, January 11, Wednesday, February 7, Thursday, April 5, Wednesday, May 9