Welcome 7:05 – 7:10
No additional agenda items
Introductions and Attendance Sheet completed
Principal Report7:10– 7:20
- Winter concert was a success despite some poor weather conditions. It was a great opportunity to create memories for children. Food drive item donations were appreciated. Student council was able to make substantial donations to the food bank.
- After the holidays students were back in routines by Monday afternoon. Over the break a heating coil ruptured and damage was caused to the school. Some roof tiles were also damaged over the break. Repairs are underway.
- Second floor heating issues have occurred this week. Some classes had to be temporarily relocated. Also, a pipe burst and has been repaired. In the girls’ gym a motor broke down; repairs have not yet been made.
- Some Toronto Parks and Recreation programs had to be cancelled due to the pending gym repairs
- By the end of next week some school exterior repairs should be completed, including brick work and window replacement.
- Roof repairs will get underway in mid-January over the girls’ gym, breezeway and auditorium.
- Teachers are currently gathering information for Term 1 Reports. Report cards will be sent home on February 13. Interviews will be scheduled for February 15 (evening) and February 16 (morning).
- January 19 is an assessment PA Day. No school for students.
- Google Calendar is now on the John English website. It’s on the landing page. This calendar will contain school wide information, such as extra-curricular practices/tryouts, concerts etc. Specific classroom activities will continue to be communicated via the homeroom teacher. The calendar is available here: http://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/johnenglish
- On January 22, Trustee Pamela Gough’s Ward 3meeting ‘TDSB’s Enhancing Equity Initiative’ (TDSB Superintendent of Equity and Engagement will give an overview & answer questions).
- On February 22, PIAC hosting School Council Appreciation and Information Evening at Montecasino.
- March 10-19 is March Break.
- Easter Break is March 30 – April 2.
- Another 30 computers have been purchased for the Intermediate Grades.
Teacher’s Report7:20 – 7:35
- 7 students are going to a provincial robotics competition at Durham College.
- Homework clubs are ongoing and a great success.
- Ski day is February 22 for Grade 6-8 students at Snow Valley.
- Skating has started for Grades 1-5 students.
- Intermural Volleyball is ongoing.
- Intermural basketball ongoing on Fridays at lunch.
- Hockey, Volleyball and basketball teams are currently ongoing.
- Mr. Newman gave a talk at staff meeting about a Growth Mindset.
SAC Board Business 7:35 – 8:26
- Update on Completed Events:
- Book Fair profit not yet known, but there was a lot of student traffic during the fair.
- Fundraising Contribution Letter has had a higher participation rate this year than last, to date the total is at ~$4150.
- QSP magazine fundraiser raised ~$2500.
- Poinsettia sale raised ~$925.
- Toronto Marlies Fundraiser is planned for March 25, 2018 at Ricoh Coliseum $20/ticket.
- Movie Night/Basket Raffle tentative date April 12.
- Dance-a-thon will be sometime in late May or early June, during the school day.
- New furniture could be purchased for the library using SAC funds. 2 chairs and 4 three-seater sofas have been requested. Maybe some items for the outdoor classroom could be purchased. Scientist in the Classroom or Jungle Sport could also possibly be supported by SAC funds.
- Monday, January 22, 2018: Trustee Pamela Gough’s Ward 3 meeting – TDSB’s Enhancing Equity Initiative (TDSB Superintendent of Equity and Engagement will give an overview & answer questions).
- Thursday, February 22, 2018: PIAC hosting School Council Appreciation and Information Evening.
Meeting Ends 8:00
- Health & Safety (transition year with Craig Spencer)
- Anyone who is interested in position please contact SAC sacinfo
Next Meetings – Wednesday, February 7, Thursday, April 5, Wednesday, May 9