Welcome & Introductions 7:00 – 7:05
- Anyone is welcome to attend meetings.
- Attendance sheet completed.
- There are several open positions on SAC and the positions are open to the JEJMS parent community.
Principal Report7:05 – 7:30
· Meet the teacher night ran smoothly. Thank you to volunteers for running the pizza service.
· Painting the school interior is ongoing. Most of the school has been repainted.
· Trying to get a replacement for the kindergarten bunker which holds the outdoor toys in the rear school yard.
· School field upgrades are upcoming.
· Play structure may get a facelift or it may be replaced entirely. The timeline could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.
· Instrument music program for Grades 6, 7, 8 – there is a new band teacher this year. All students in Grade 6 have the opportunity to participate in the instrumental music program. This is new this year and will hopefully continue in future.
· Jungle Sport is coming next week to Gym 1. It’s a ropes course. All students will rotate through the course, at least once throughout the week.
· Photo retake day is November 1.
· Albion Hills Outdoor Education Center – three Grade 7 classes are there now. Next week three more Grade 7 classes go. Two more classes go to Alboin Hills in December.
· Tomorrow is Grades 1 and 2 Cross Country event.
· French Immersion Information Night is November 1, 7-8pm at Etobicoke Collegiate Institute.
· Remembrance Day Ceremony will be held at the school the morning of November 9.
· Progress Reports go home November 13 and November 16/17 are parent teacher interviews. November 17 is a PA day.
· Transition from Grade 8-9 meeting is October 17 in the JEJMS auditorium at 6:30pm.
· Healthy Bites – TDSB has received a complaint about this type of program.
Ms. Overland (New Vice-Principal)
- Lunch programs start tomorrow with Mad Science. There will be two sections, a Grade 1-2 section and a Grade 3-4 section. Arts in Action and Chess will begin Monday.
- Masquerade dance for Grades 6-8 on October 26. Alternatives are movie watching or board games. Ticket sales start on October 16. $5.00/ticket.
- Safety patroller training will begin on October 15. The patroller will begin patrolling on the 25th of October.
- Volunteers wanted to help with cooking or sewing in Family Studies. Day 4 or 5 on the school’s time table cycle. 12:30pm – 2pm. If interested in volunteering contact email@example.com.
SAC Board Business 7:30 – 8:35
- November 13 – 17 Scholastic Book Fair – Volunteers needed to help younger students select books & manage purchase of books, shifts are 90-120 minutes long during the school day. If interested, please contact sacinfo.
- Curriculum Night – HUGE success – thanks to all volunteers and David for leading event.
- Pizza Lunch – available via CashOnline until October 19.
- Fresh from the Farm – orders submitted, the official cut off for orders is Monday, October 15. Produce delivery in November.
- Fundraising Contribution Letter – due October 19.
- QSP Campaign – starts in late October. This will be the last year that JEJMS will offer the full paper envelope and color brochure for QSP magazine sales.
- Toronto Marlies – date of game is TBD – planning for late March 2019.
- Indigo Flip Give fundraiser is always ongoing. If you buy at Chapters Indigo, please support JEJMS. Here’s the link: https://indigo.flipgive.com/teams/57573-reading-rocks-at-john-english?fundraiser_id=206155
Open Positions / Nominations
· QSP coordinator.
· Fundraising chair.
· Toronto Marlies Game coordinator.
· Healthy Bites committee members wanted.
- 2017/18 full report presented (SAC Budget 2018-19).
o Motion made to approve the budget from 2017/18.
o Motion approved.
o Motion made to increase classroom support budget to $125 per teacher, from $100 in the 2018/19 budget.
o Motion approved.
o Ukulele budget increase discussed – due to increased costs of lessons, instrument repair and a greater number of students. Discussion is ongoing. To be reviewed in April 2019.
o Change made to add Toronto Marlies as proposed revenue of $1000 to 2018/19 budget.
o Suggestion made to remove the pizza lunch prize from the Dance-a-thon ($100) and the QSP class winners ($100) from the 2018/19 expenditures.
o Motion made to approve the 2018/19 budget.
o Motion approved.
Meeting Ends 8:35
Next Meetings: November 22, January 10, February 7, April 4, May 9
Trustee Pamela Gough – sign up for her monthly e-newsletter at www.tdsb.on.ca/ward3/Ward3.aspx or follow her on Twitter @pamelagough