Welcome & Introductions 7:00– 7:05
- Introductions completed around the group.
- Attendance sheet completed.
- Additional agenda items:
- Grade 8 Graduation
- Strike action by teachers
Principal Report 7: 05- 7:23
Mr. Howe (Principal)
- Dennis was an acting vice principal for January. Now Ms. Kenny is the new Vice Principal. She is getting acquainted with the school and the role. She was previously a teacher at Lanor Junior Middle School and a learning coach, among many other roles.
- Hehn is on a leave. Mme. Cardwell is her replacement.
- A publication has been released about the Facility Condition Index. It’s the calculation of how much it would cost to replace school facility items that are past their life expectancy. John English has been high on that index (100% +) but now the school is listed at 93%. This means that the school is less expensive to repair than to rebuild.
- The sump pump in the basement has been completed. This will hopefully prevent any future gym flooding.
- Work to rule teacher job actions:
- The job action is now in Phase 5. There are no extra-curricular activities, no field trips. The Grade 3 Gregg LaRock Concert has been postponed to May. Hopefully a teacher contract will be agreed upon by then. Grade 2 and Grade 4 trip to YPT (Young People’s Theatre) has been cancelled and tickets refunded.
- The skating program at Mimico Arena has been cancelled for Grades 1-5, until further notice on the strike action. The City of Toronto has credited the school the cost of the cancelled iced times.
- Next Tuesday there will be no school for students (province wide) and also no school on Wednesday (TDSB). These two days will be strike days.
- First report cards that would normally go home in February will not be sent home.
- Interviews can be booked online (booking opens up at 5 pm on Friday, February 7) at schoolinterviews.ca code: jejms The interviews will take place on February 14, during school hours. If this time cannot work, parents can contact teachers via phone.
- Teachers will contact the parents of students with whom they wish to speak regarding concerns about particular students.
- Photographer for school photos may change. Customer service is a priority. The school is currently looking at different vendors.
- Grade 8 graduation photos will likely happen after March Break.
- There is a PA Day on February 14
- February 17th is Family Day and there will be no school.
- March Break will be March 16th to 23rd. There will be no school during this week.
SAC Board Business 7:23 – 7:45
- The Toronto Marlies Hockey Game fundraiser has been booked for Sunday, March 29th at 4pm vs Syracuse Crunch, at the Coca Cola Coliseum. The poster is in the works that will advertise this event to families. The Marlies fundraiser has been postponed as per the direction from TDSB due to job action.
- The Movie Night/Basket Raffle date is Friday, April 17th. A movie title has to be selected. A survey idea was floated so that students have a voice in selecting a movie. The rating of G and PG was discussed.
- The Spring Flower (Hanging Basket) Sale will deliver the flowers to the school during the week of May 4th to 9th. Orders must be submitted by April 30th. Prices are likely going to be the same as last year.
- The Dance-a-thon fundraiser for Grades JK to Grade 5 will take place on Friday, June 12th (last pizza day). SAC is planning on using the same DJ as last year. Volunteers are welcome to help sell freezies in the afternoon. If interested please contact email@example.com
Open SAC Positions (with support provided)
- Movie Night/Basket Raffle co-lead. If interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the attached current Feb Meeting Budget.
Other Business 7:45 – 7:50
- Saturday March 28th, 2020: *FREE* Parents as Partners Conference, parentsaspartners.ca
- Grade 8 Graduation ceremony will be in the afternoon, followed by a dinner, assuming the teacher labour dispute is resolved.
- Proposed May SAC Meeting date change from May 7th to May 28th. No objections, so change has been finalized.
Meeting Ends 7:50
Next Meetings – April 2nd, May 28th