Our John English School Advisory Council is excited to welcome all students (new or returning) to the 2021/22 school year! You will find some very important information about the new school year here:
- TDSB’s Return to School Update
- ‘First Day of School Procedures‘ email sent by John English on September 7th
- General Principles and Health Screening protocols
- Our first SAC meeting will be virtual and announced at a later date (planned for mid-September)
First Day of School Procedures
Our first day of classes is on Thursday, September 9, 2021.
All of our 800+ students will be welcomed by our staff at 9AM.
School Bell Times
- 9:10 a.m. Entry for Grade 1-8 students
- 9:15 a.m. Entry for Kindergarten students
- 11:55 or 12:25 Staggered lunch time (60 minutes lunch)
- 3:30 p.m. Dismissal for Kindergarten and Grade 7-8 students
- 3:40 p.m. Dismissal for Grade 1-6 students
Our students will either eat in the first 30 minutes of lunch or the last 30 minutes. Lunches will be eaten in the classrooms.
Where do you go on the First Day of School?
Did you know there is a map PDF attachment in the ‘First Day of School Procedures’ email? Take a look to find out where you need to go! Please make sure you wear your mask and practice physical distancing.
General Principles and Health Screening
Health and safety protocols for schools are similar to last year. Parents should familiarize the following safety protocols and communicate any well-being concerns with the teacher prior to the start of the school day.
Toronto Public Health COVID-19 School Resources COVID-19 Guidance for Elementary and Secondary Schools
Daily Check List
Daily Check List – EVERYDAY a guide for parents to be done at home.
Parents/guardians are to pre-screen children at home and have healthy passes signed daily for 2021-2022.
Employees, students, parents and visitors are expected to be familiar with and recognize the signs and symptoms of COVID-19. Before coming to school/work or an administration building each day, all students must conduct an active student health screening self-assessment and all staff must conduct an active adult health screening self-assessment. They should remain home if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 and get tested.
Safety at School
- All students and staff are to wear a mask
- Students will need a pocket or fanny pack or paper/cloth bag to put facemask when outside during the school day. Lanyards are not recommended for cleanliness / safety reasons. 4 masks per day are recommended.
- Frequent handwashing – Students are encouraged to bring their own sample size scent-free hand sanitizer.
- Every effort is made to maintain social distance
- Recess and lunch periods will be staggered to reduce the number of students outside at one time
- Students presenting with Covid-19 symptoms at school will be removed from class and parents/guardians will be called to pick up the student
- Enhanced cleaning procedures by our caretaking staff
Visiting the School
To maintain a safe environment, parents are asked not to come on school grounds or visit the school unless it is for essential purposes. Appointments will be required for all non-essential visits to the school.
If picking your child up early, please inform your homeroom teacher or call the office. Staff will accompany students to the door when they are being picked up by a parent/caregiver during instructional time. All other student pickups will be outside.
Families are strongly encouraged to walk to school. The parking lot is reserved for staff members, with the exception of the kiss n ride. Please read all street signage carefully for parking regulations and too avoid congestion on the surrounding streets.
Gr.7 and 8 Lunchtime – Permission to Leave the Property
Our Grade 7 and 8 students have the opportunity to leave the school property at lunch time. Our students have always demonstrated a high level of care and responsibility at this time.
In order for your Grade 7 or 8 student to leave school property at lunch time, the attached form should be printed, completed and returned to school on Thursday, September 9th. Your child will not be permitted to leave school property until the homeroom teacher receives this form. Please note, until your child is able to return a printed copy of the form, your child is expected to eat lunch at school.