Last Updated: October 08, 2021
Feeling a little overwhelmed or information overload with back to school procedures and processes? On this page we have gathered the important information in one place to help you and your children set up a smooth daily school routine.
Day to Day School Procedures
- School Bell Times
- Lunch and Recess
- Mask Wearing
- Lost and Found
- Inclement Weather Days
- Leaving Early – Early Pick Up
COVID Safety Procedures
- Daily Check List and Health Pass [updated on Oct 8]
- Safety at School
- Visiting the School
- What Happens When Someone is Sick
- TDSB and TPH Information
School Bell Times
- 9:10 a.m. Entry for Grade 1-8 students
- 9:15 a.m. Entry for Kindergarten students
- 11:55 or 12:25 Staggered lunch time (60 minutes lunch)
- 3:30 p.m. Dismissal for Kindergarten and Grade 7-8 students
- 3:40 p.m. Dismissal for Grade 1-6 students
Lunch and Recess
As we are planning to reduce the interactions between our student population, we have found it necessary to stagger our recess and lunch times. Students will still have one hour for lunch. This will help to reduce the number of students in the play areas of the school. We will also be implementing some new lunch routines which are as follows:
- Students are to bring a ‘grab and go’ lunch
- Lunch will be eaten in classrooms
- Students will be directed to wash or sanitize their hands prior to eating
- All garbage from lunch will need to be taken home by students
- All special lunch days (i.e., Pizza, Sub sandwiches, etc.) will be postponed until further notice
- The school will not accept lunch deliveries from delivery services (i.e., Uber eats)
- Students and families are encouraged to make lunches the night before school and to pack lunches in a bag with cooling packs if necessary
- Food, drinks and utensils are not to be shared
- All students and staff are to wear a mask
- Teachers will provide breaks outside when possible. Students will not need to wear masks outside as long as they maintain social distance.
- Students will need a pocket or fanny pack or paper/cloth bag to put facemask when outside during the school day. Lanyards are not recommended for cleanliness / safety reasons. 4 masks per day are recommended.
- Review the TDSB Mask Procedures
Lost and Found
Please label your child’s clothing, lunch bags, backpacks, and any other items that are sent to school with their FIRST and LAST name. Many items end up in the lost and found and an attached label will help to locate misplaced items.
What better way to label your child’s school items than with Mabel’s Labels? Place your order using our Mabel’s Label’s Fundraising Campaign and raise money at the same time!
Inclement Weather Days
On rainy days during the start of the school day, students will be allowed to enter the school directly (without gathering in the field) and line up outside of their first period classroom. Students are expected to go to their first period classroom independently. It is advised that students do not come to school early on inclement weather days. Students should enter at their designated doors. Please dress for the weather each day.
Leaving Early – Early Pick Up
If you must pick up your child early from school, please send a detailed note (or email) to your child’s teacher in advance of the appointment with an exact pickup time. Your child will be waiting for you at the Main Entrance when you arrive. Visitors and parents are not to enter the school as part of covid safety.
COVID Safety Procedures
Daily Check List
Daily Check List – EVERYDAY a guide for parents to be done at home. Parents/guardians are to pre-screen children at home and have healthy passes signed daily for 2021-2022.
Download and print out the TDSB SCREENING HEALTH PASS PDF
Employees, students, parents and visitors are expected to be familiar with and recognize the signs and symptoms of COVID-19. Before coming to school/work or an administration building each day, all students must conduct an active student health screening self-assessment and all staff must conduct an active adult health screening self-assessment. They should remain home if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 and get tested.
Visiting the School
To maintain a safe environment, parents are asked not to come on school grounds or visit the school unless it is for essential purposes. Appointments will be required for all non-essential visits to the school.
Families are strongly encouraged to walk to school. The parking lot is reserved for staff members, with the exception of the kiss n ride. Please read all street signage carefully for parking regulations and too avoid congestion on the surrounding streets.
What Happens When Someone is Sick
The Government of Ontario has laid out guidelines and health and safety measures for schools. Visit these sections If someone becomes ill at school or If a COVID-19 case is confirmed at school frequently as procedures could change without notification. [as of September 7, 2021]
City of Toronto also has information ‘What to Do if Your Child Has COVID-19 Symptoms‘ which is posted on COVID-19: School Information for Parents & Caregivers [as of September 18, 2021]
TDSB also shared ‘Updated Protocols for Vaccinated Students and Cohort Dismissal’ [as of September 8, 2021]
Staff/students who do not have symptoms and are fully vaccinated with an approved COVID-19 vaccine may not be required to self-isolate as a close contact of someone who tests positive for COVID-19. In order for Principals to dismiss only those in a cohort who are not fully vaccinated, schools may voluntarily ask for a student’s COVID-19 vaccination information. Toronto Public Health will continue to investigate all positive cases of COVID-19 related to a school and advise the Principal of next steps.
TDSB and TPH Information
Toronto District School Board and Toronto Public Health (City of Toronto) also has useful information about the 2021/22 school year:
- TPH COVID-19 School Resources COVID-19 Guidance for Elementary and Secondary Schools [September 9, 2021]
- Active school outbreaks are posted on TPH’s Active Outbreaks dashboard
- TPH will also share school cohort dismissal and outbreaks via Twitter at 5 p.m., from Monday to Friday.
- TDSB Important Message from Toronto Public Health to Parents/Guardians [September 8, 2021]
- TDSB Mask Procedures
- Hand Washing Heroes (JK to Grade 3)
- Coughing and Sneezing Hygiene for Kids (JK to Grade 3)
- Clean Hands Kit resource package (Grades 4-6)